Sunday, December 16, 2012

Another trip to Haiti ... Another lesson to learn



Each trip here seems to bring a new lesson to be learned. In March of 2009 it was learning so much about who God is; in May of 2009 it was learning to serve where there was a need rather than where I had planned; in March of 2011 it was trust; in November of 2011 it was obedience; and this trip has taught me what living missionally really means.
Last November when we knew God was telling us not to move to Haiti it took everything within me (and great leadership from my husband) to adjust all of my plans and desires to live in Haiti. It was where I wanted to be, it is still where we both feel more comfortable, but it is not where we are supposed to be. And when we knew we weren't supposed to live here, we knew that we were supposed to have the same "missional" mentality in LA that we had here. And even though I knew that a year ago, I spend a good part of that year ignoring, being upset, and basically throwing a temper tantrum. I wanted my way and that was that. But through that year I have learned the beauty of obedience, and I am now being able to fully learn what it looks like to live missionally in the lovely city of Los Angeles. In Haiti there are starving children (and adults) everywhere, buildings that need to be worked on, constant chaos, staff who need encouragement from all of the endless needs; and here it seems so easy to see where to serve. But the glaring lesson of this trip for me, is that we have all of those same needs in the states. We have children and adults alike starving for hope, we have foundations that need to be re-built, chaos of a different sort, and people exhausted and in desperate need of encouragement. Why do I find it so much "easier" to serve here?  I'm sure it has to do with the fact that the needs are so much more in your face here - literally. You can't walk around without seeing the need. But as American's we have "matured," as many would see it, to a point of hiding our needs so well. We are so set on appearing as if there are no issues, we rob ourselves from the aid we are aching for.
I have since my first trip, and continue to believe, that the people here, in all of their abject poverty, are truly the richer people. In their "lack" they gain so much. I'm just thankful for the privilege to come here and be taught so much from these beautiful people!

No comments: