Wednesday, May 21, 2014

looking at people



There's a difference between looking and seeing.

I've realized that at times I can go most of the day not really looking at the people I'm surrounded by. I've started making it a point to really look at the people I'm with.

I've been made so aware of the fragility of life lately. I've seen so many posts about people suddenly losing children and family members, and it just makes me pause and consider how temporal our lives are. Why would I live these days surrounded by people I love, living life with them, and not pausing to take the time to really look at them. Look them in the eye.

We live in a time where there is always something to take our attention. This city never stops. Legitimately. You don't have to try to be busy here, you just are. It's kind of ridiculous. I grew up in the suburbs, and there is a whole different type of stress that comes from that lifestyle, but LA just has this strange pressure that is put on it's residents simply by living here.

All that to say, pause, take in moments. We never know when we won't have the opportunity to take the moments. I will never miss something that I didn't see on Instagram, I won't miss status updates, people are what matter. Soak them up. Take in as much as you can. Be thankful. This is what I'm learning.

Baci Baci

No comments: